… this great post from David Sirota:
A new poll out tells us what we already know: though 56 percent of Americans believe the country is headed in the wrong direction, more voters have positive feelings about Republicans than Democrats. As pollster Stan Greenberg notes, “Republicans weakened in this poll… but it shows Democrats weakening more” and that decline by Democrats is because people believe Democrats have “no core set of convictions or point of view.”
Most likely, the entrenched Democratic elites in Washington are shocked at this, especially with all the scandals surrounding top Republicans. But then again, these same elites are the ones who have helped run the party into the ground over the last decade – we shouldn’t expect them to understand much more than how to protect their own careers in the Establishment.
So in the interest in boiling it down for these people, let’s make it very clear as to why America still thinks Democrats stand for nothing:
– When you vote with Republicans for an energy bill that showers huge oil/gas companies with massive tax breaks at a time of record deficits, and that energy bill won’t lower the cost of gasoline, Americans will believe you stand for nothing.
– When you ignore public demands for a withdrawal/exit strategy from Iraq, and instead vote against legislation requesting the President explain an exit strategy from the war, Americans will believe you stand for nothing.
– When you say you are for economic fairness, and then your top leaders start negotiating the elimination of the Estate Tax that falls on the wealthiest 2 percent of citizens, Americans will believe you stand for nothing.
– When you deride the fact that the Bush administration lied to the country about the war and about its behavior before 9/11, and then vote to confirm chief liar Condoleezza Rice as Secretary of State, Americans will believe you stand for nothing.
– When you claim to care about protecting ordinary citizens’ economic rights, and then corral corporate lobbyists to help pass a bill allowing credit card companies to gouge those same ordinary citizens, Americans will believe you stand for nothing.
– When you say you want workers to be protected in their workplace, and then vote to limit workers’ ability to fight for their rights in court, Americans will believe you stand for nothing.
– When you say you oppose unfair trade deals that sell workers out, and then refuse to voice any opposition to the latest corporate-written trade deal that sells workers out, Americans will believe you stand for nothing.
Please read the whole terrific post.